Sunday, September 20, 2015

Getting Ready for Kindergarten

So I've been extremely nervous about this school year starting. It's a lot of firsts for me even though this is technically my 4th year as a classroom teacher. It's my first time with Kindergarten, I have a new team, new classroom, and new curriculum to learn. I typically felt pretty confident as my kids walked in the door because I knew what to expect. This year - there is no expectations. I have no idea who my children are, what they know, where they come from. To be honest I don't even know who will be on my roster on Monday!

With that being said. I'm trying my best to prepare for the big first day of Kindergarten as best as I can. Here's a look at what I've done to prepare for my Kindergarten friends and plans for my first week of school (even though that will probably change)!

Plans
We're getting started on instruction right away this year. Wednesday is when we dive into our curriculum. Standard base instruction is huge at our school and district this year, so we're using multiple curriculum and resources to teach the district's standards. 


Material/First Week Preparation

I've found these awesome "BEE Binders" from A Cupcake for the Teacher that I love! These binders will hold their homework, forms, agenda, and this great reference guide I got from File Folder Fun to help study and learn at home.


I created their writing folders, which will eventually have a portable word wall added inside when we teach about the word wall. I created these early, but they won't be used for about 1 week.

I've printed out the worksheets I will be using this week, and have compiled it into my weekly organization folders with each book I will read by day. It makes it really easy to make sure I have everything I need.



They will be using a "literacy learning folder" to hold their weekly center's work. In the pronged area, I will keep their poems from the year. These will not be removed. To the left will be centers work that they are working on. As we introduce centers they will stay at their seats and the centers will rotate to them, this makes keeping everything in their folder nice and easy.

I got my promethean board calendar time ready to go. I finally had these perfected from my 1st grade class and had to change a lot of it to fit the standards and teaching points of Kindergarten but it worked out!

I also made a playlist of songs I will use in the first week or two. Lots of brain break songs, morning meeting songs, or math/alphabet songs. 


Meet the Teacher

 I have a checklist for the parents to follow, sign in sheet, and transportation sheet I have each parent sign immediately when they come in!

Next I will have the kids estimate how many whale goldfish they believe are in the jar. This is one small activity they can do while their parents fill out forms. 
I have my student info sheet, "About Me" info sheet, and a back to school pamphlet for the parents to take that tells them about our class, pick up/drop off times, breakfast/lunch, school rules etc. This is at everyone's seats so each parent can fill this out.

The last thing I leave them with is a "treat", which is both in the form of whale shaped goldfish and a sweet little poem for my new student's to read before they go to bed. Inside the manilla envelope is a poem their parents will read to them with a glitter packet to sprinkle under their pillow!

No comments :

Post a Comment