Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Weekly Sight Word Work


I'm currently using a sight word system one of my fellow first grade teachers, Jodi Wuthrich, showed me when I first started teaching at Grand and absolutely love it! Click here for the freebie version this weeks sight word rotation which is a "St. Patrick's" Day Theme! :)


Each morning during our morning meeting we read our weekly poem which teaches the kids 5 sight words a week. I like to choose poems that correlate with the season, month, holiday, or science/social studies topic we're learning at the time. If I can't find or create one that meets the sight words I want to teach, I'll use any poem to make it work. I typically teach 3 - 4 new sight words and review a previous sight word I've noticed they're still misspelling/having difficulty with.

After we read the poem in the morning, we do the chant "Hickety Pickety" reciting that days'  sight word. 


At centers the students rotate between the following 5 activities…

Cut & Sort

Make A Word


Rainbow Write
I used purchased "roll a sight word" from Christine-Besser but have now made my own
 Read & Illustrate
*(I swap this out as Sight Word Center and "Fluency/Reading Center")

Her illustration of "March Winds"
Read, Stamp, Write 

I have them keep their center work in a folder and collect and review it at the end of the week. This holds them accountable for completing their work. 

If you like these centers and want more, please check out my sight word system by month on TeachersPayTeachers.




No comments :

Post a Comment