Thursday, August 14, 2014

And We're Back!

Hi Everyone!


Sorry it's pretty much been ALL summer since I last wrote a post. My summer was fun but short lived. I taught summer school the majority of the time and to my surprise, loved it. I had a super sweet bunch of kids and was able to teach in my own class with some of my own students so it worked out well (plus we had every Friday off, so that doesn't hurt)! After that I did lots of relaxing and planning, took a trip or two, and lots of sleeping in. I've been working hard all week at school preparing for the kiddos to arrive. I also have been slowly redoing my room to a new chalkboard theme and am closed to finished. All of which you can buy or download for free from teacherspayteachers.

Before I reveal the new room, I wanted to give you guys an idea of how I prepare during pre-planning. Each teacher works differently during this time and preplanning is pretty much a huge mystery for a new teacher. I thought I could shed some light into what goes on during that time, at least for me.

Our school neighborhood has a lot of mobility, meaning a few days before school a great deal of our future students aren't registered. In addition, a lot of our past students are still registered but might have moved and not properly withdrawn themselves. So we try and prepare as much as possible but make everything editable and flexible. After getting our class list (which will probably change 4 - 5 times within the first week of school) I create labels for the desks, chair bags, and cubbies. I also create labels for their folders. 

Their homework folder includes resources to assist them with homework (120's chart, alphabet/blends/digraphs chart, and sight words).






The inside of their writing folders can be seen here (each has portable word wall, writing ideas, and punctuation/grammar graphics).



After, I get their math journals, science journals, reader's response journals. I've pre-created a years worth of math journal questions that have been printed on small Avery labels and placed in their journals. I keep a small highlighter sticky note tab on the page they are working on at the time. They move it to the next page so they can easily find the page the left off on (such a huge help)! Their math journals will be incorporated into their math center rotations.



Their morning work folders I happily bought from The Daily Alphabet



Saves me so much time and it's such quality work/questions. I simply copy this off and place it in each folder (I do it by seasons so I will have to replace them in Winter then Spring).


I've been working on my first weeks lesson plans for a while, and feel pretty excited about my plans. Lots of team building, rule setting, and routines routines routines. You can take a look at these here! 



In addition, I got ready for my parents by creating an "ABC Pamphlet" for back to school (download the editable powerpoint template by clicking here). It gives our parents A LOT of information about the school and class. 


I also write a letter to the parents that outlines our schools procedures, rules, and any important class details with a letter explaining Dolch Sight words (with a list of words attached and Reading Tips).

To collect Student Information I use this form I created here. You can download it for free by clicking the picture below. Enjoy!


I use that information sheet with a Parent/Student Questionnaire that will help me get to know each child a little better. 

Other than that it's finishing up the room, making sure materials, centers activities, labels, and displays are ready for when the kiddo's arrive. LOTS of printing, cutting, laminating, cutting, and gluing/taping. Open house will be this Friday and I'm super excited to meet my new children! I've set up the rotations to make sure the parents have all of the information and paperwork I need from them. 





I have the kids color at their seats or read from a few books I have set out on the carpet. (Our parents come with ALL of their children, which can be a lot of bodies at once.) In the past two years I've learned that "kid stations" are necessary.

 I know this year is going to be great and I'm really looking forward to getting started. Hope you are having a minimal stress pre-planning week! Let me know if you have any questions or comments below!

No comments :

Post a Comment